What is Milestones Ministry?
A milestone is an action or event marking a significant change or stage in development. Birthdays, anniversaries, graduation from high school or college, transitions like getting a driver’s license for the first time, are all examples of times of significant change in our lives. But how many of the events listed are used as opportunities to help empower and equip children, youth, and adults with the ability to grow in their faith?
First Milestone: Baptism
Our life of faith begins in Holy Baptism. God initiates a relationship with us, calls us his beloved children, and through the promise of his Word proclaimed in Holy Baptism, brings us forgiveness, life, and salvation.
When a child is baptized, parents and/or sponsors are asked to promise before God and the community that they will raise their child in the faith, bring them to the services of God’s house, place in their hands the Holy Scriptures, and share with them the gospel of Jesus Christ. They respond, “Yes, with the help of God.”
The pastor then asks the congregation, “Will you commit to praying for this child and for the parents, and help raise the child in the faith?” The congregation responds, “Yes, with the help of God.”
Through Holy Baptism, a child becomes a part of the Christian community and the child begins the process of faith development. As the first of many milestones in a child’s spiritual journey, baptism gives us a chance to equip our parents, as well as the community, to nurture the faith of each child.
The beautiful thing about Baptism is that it can take place at any time in your life! If you are a youth or an adult and haven't been baptized and you have questions and are curious about being baptized, we would love to talk about it with you!
● Preschool and Kindergarten: The Lord’s Prayer. kids learn the Lord’s Prayer and explore what it means.
● 1st Grade: John 3:16. Kids start to learn this key verse and understand the Good News, the gospel of Jesus Christ.
● 2nd Grade: First Bible. Each parent presents their child with a Children’s Bible. Kids are invited to learn how to use their Bible throughout the year during Sunday School.
● 3rd Grade: First Communion. Parents and kids attend a special class and receive a take-home resource called “There’s a Place for You” that teaches kids the meaning of communion.
● 4th Grade: 10 Commandments. Kids learn the meaning of the 10 Commandments and receive a take-home resource.
● For all students. Each fall we offer a blessing of the backpacks at the beginning of the school year, and we share the Good News that God is with them at all times.
Jr high Milestones:
● 7th & 8th Grade: Youth Bible and Confirmation. Students each get a new youth Bible as they enter Confirmation. After completion of this important Faith Milestone, they can be confirmed as members of the congregation. Each teen affirms their faith in Christ and the promises God has made to them in Holy Baptism and are prayed over by their pastor, spiritual mentors, family, friends, and the community.
High School Milestones:
● 9th-12th Grade: Community. Each 9th grader is invited into Connection/discipleship with our Sr high youth that will be a supportive Christian community throughout their high school years.
● Driver’s License. We offer a blessing on each student at the time they receive their driver’s license.
● 12th Grade: Graduation. At the end of the year, seniors are asked to invite friends and family to a Graduate Recognition brunch. On the same Sunday, in worship, we offer a prayer of blessing and commissioning as God goes with them into their next adventures in life.
Taking Faith Home is faith-enriching resource provided in each Sunday bulletin.
Here are some of its key features: